Your smile is an asset that makes it easier to interact with others and pursue new opportunities. So you’ll want to keep it in the best shape possible. We’re happy to help! It’s the reason we are here. The best way to prevent dental problems is to keep them from occurring – which is why it’s so important to maintain a regular schedule of visits to our office.
If it’s been a long time since you’ve been to the dentist, you may hesitate to see us. Please don’t! We don’t make judgments. We just help you achieve and maintain great oral health. Call us today at 602-857-9945 for an appointment in Glendale, AZ. In the meantime, see our recommendations for preventing cavities and other problems:
- Brush at Least Twice a Day – Bet you were expecting this advice! This habit really is essential to your oral health. We recommend brushing at least two times a day, for two minutes each time. Go ahead and floss once a day too, to remove food debris and bacteria from in between your teeth – an area that’s tough to reach with a brush.
- Don’t Brush Too Hard – It may seem counterintuitive, but don’t scrub too hard when you brush. It can damage your enamel, which makes it easier for cavities to form. Always use a toothbrush with soft bristles and consider an electric brush, which can help you apply more even pressure.
- Don’t Forget Your Tongue – Bacteria is the enemy of a smile that looks and feels good. Bacteria accumulates on your tongue, so include it in your cleaning routine. Brush your tongue along with your teeth or use a tongue scraper.
- Keep Antibacterial Mouthwash Handy – It’s not always easy or even possible to brush during the day. Keep a bottle of antibacterial mouthwash in spots like your desk, car, or purse. Use it to rinse out your mouth when a more extensive cleaning is inconvenient.
- Cut Down on Sugar and Starch – Bacteria thrive on sugar and starch. So it’s best to limit these substances. Keep your diet focused on healthier choices like lean proteins, dairy, and leafy greens. Your mouth will be healthier – and the rest of you will too!
- Be Careful With Coffee and Soda – Coffee and soda, along with other dark liquids like red wine, will stain teeth. Even worse, the high acid content in coffee and soda eats into your tooth enamel. Use a straw for these beverages, if possible, and rinse your mouth out after drinking them.
- Schedule Exams/Cleanings Every 6 Months – Visit us two times a year for cleanings and exams. We’ll get your teeth cleaner than you can at home and look for small issues that need to be addressed so they won’t cause larger problems. If you are susceptible to cavities, you may benefit from preventive treatments like fluoride applications and/or dental sealants.
- Stop Smoking – Smoking does many bad things to your dental health – and your overall health too. It stains teeth, gives you bad breath, and affects the speed of your healing after procedures like oral surgery or dental implant placement. Stop smoking.
Let us help you prevent dental problems! Call Italian Smiles today at 602-857-9945 to schedule your next appointment. Or schedule online.